Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Be True to Your School -- Beach Boys

One-Pager: Article
Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/03/AR2008060303438_pf.html

In recent years, schools have followed a trend to accelerate education paths for elementary and middle schools students especially in mathematics. Many aim for students to take Algebra I one year ahead of schedule (in eighth grade instead of ninth) while others are pushing for two or three years ahead.
The article, “Accelerated Math Adds Up To a Division Over Merits,” describes the impact of accelerated math courses. In general, the push has been to open up opportunities for all students to take higher-level math courses at younger ages. In Montgomery County, even Kindergartners are being pushed to achieve at levels standard of first graders. The goal is that by about fifth grade, gaps that may result from accelerated education would be eliminated and students would be learning at high-than-grade-level standards. Many parents support these initiatives and feel that greater opportunities for their students are nothing less than beneficial. However, recently, some parents have expressed concern for over-acceleration. They assert that young children are being pushed too hard and too quickly to achieve at levels beyond capability. The results, they claim, are an unstable education foundation and unprepared-ness in future classes.
Journalist, Daniel de Vise, presented the information in a balanced manner. He presented both the pros and cons of the argument. Although his coverage of the trend in the D.C. Metro area was thorough, I would have been interested to see more how the facts and figures of Montgomery, Fairfax and Arlington Counties aligned with the rest of the country.
I believe that accelerated opportunities, especially in mathematics, are a great resource for young students. Having participated in an accelerate math program myself in the GT Program in elementary and middle school, I felt completely prepared to enter Geometry in my first year of high school. While I do not feel that every child is mentally or emotionally prepared to advance through mathematics in a decreased amount of time, I do believe it is extremely important to continue to offer opportunities to students and to drive students to want to take advantage of them.

No comments: